With the hype of Silver Tempest and cards that brought dynamism to meta cards of different formats. We'll discuss Unown-VStar, which allows with its VStar attack that all the opponent's Pokémon are weak to Psychic type.
Thus, we can leverage Mewtwo & Mew-GX UNM 71's deck to deal more double damage without headache, strengthening this Pokémon even more.
I am proud to say that I am the first to release this deck combination.
Mewtwo & Mew Tag Team-GX + Unown VStar: Aggro Version
This list can be changed to your liking with the choices of Pokémon and objectives. In this version, I opted for something more straightforward and aggressive.
It can also have Item Lock and Energy Lock versions with Noivern-GX BUS 99 and merge with Gengar & Mimikyu-GX TEU 53 with its GX attack Horror House to lock the opponent's hand and finally, use the Poltergeist attack, where it deals 50 times the damage for each Trainer-type card in your opponent's hand that Mewtwo & Mew-GX UNM 71 can copy.
It also has the option of adding Lugia-GX LOT 159 due to its GX attack Lost Purge, which can banish the opponent's Active Pokémon and all cards attached to it to the Lost Zone. The possibilities are endless, but anyway, we'll continue with my list.
3 Mewtwo & Mew Tag Team-GX (Sun/Moon: Unified Minds)
2 Unown-V (Sword/Shield: Silver Tempest)
2 Unown-VStar (Sword/Shield: Silver Tempest)
1 Jolteon-EX (X/Y: Generations)
1 Glaceon-EX (X/Y: Fates Collide)
1 M. Gengar-EX (X/Y: Phantom Forces)
1 M. Mewtwo X-EX (X/Y: BREAKthrough)
1 M. Mewtwo Y-EX (X/Y: BREAKthrough)
1 Jirachi-GX (Sun/Moon: Unified Minds)
1 Greninja-GX (Sun/Moon: Detective Pikachu)
1 Incineroar-GX (Sun/Moon: Team Up)
2 Dedenne-GX (Sun/Moon: Unbroken Bonds)
2 Professor's Research (Sword/Shield: Celebrations)
2 Boss's Orders (Sword/Shield: Rebel Clash)
3 Marnie (Sword/Shield: Rebel Clash)
2 Guzma & Hala (Sun/Moon: Cosmic Eclipse)
1 Roxanne (Sword/Shield: Astral Radiance)
3 Battle Compressor (X/Y: Phantom Forces)
3 Trainers' Mail (X/Y: Roaring Skies)
3 VS Seeker (X/Y: Roaring Skies)
3 Ultra Ball (Sword/Shield: Brilliant Stars)
3 Fog Crystal (Sword/Shield: Chilling Reign)
3 Special Charge (X/Y: Steam Siege)
2 Dimension Valley (X/Y: Phantom Forces)
2 Chaotic Sell (Sun/Moon: Cosmic Eclipse)
1 Scramble Switch (Black/White: Plasma Storm)
3 Switch (Sword/Shield: Base Set)
4 Aurora Energy (Sword/Shield: Base Set)
3 Double Coloress Energy (Sun/Moon: Base Set)
Unown-V and Unown-VStar: knowing the cards
Recoil cost: One colorless energy
Pokémon V Rule Box: If it is Knocked Out, the opponent takes two Prize cards.
1) Attack - Suspicious Glyph (P): The opponent's defending Pokémon is confused.
2) Attack - Victory Symbol (C)(C)(C): if you have exactly one prize card left to win the game, you automatically win the game.
Recoil cost: One colorless energy
Pokémon VStar Rule Box: If it is Knocked Out, the opponent takes two prize cards
1) Attack - Tri Power (P): Deals 70 times damage for every 3 coins thrown that come up heads.
2) VStar Attack - Star Cipher (C)(C)(C): On your turn, when you use this attack, if this Pokémon is in play after you perform this play, all the opponent's Pokémon have weakness to Psychic-type (this does not prevent or nullify the existing weakness the Pokémon already has).
Given this, we now have the possibility of any attack that Mewtwo & Mew-GX UNM 71 can cause, giving double damage and knocking out everything that is in front of it in Expanded. And with that, let's go to the deck's attackers and the most relevant attacks:
With the doubled effects of Unown's VSTAR attack, those 70 become 140 damage against basic Pokémon, practically being immune to basic Single Prize decks and even Tag Team.
Now about the first attack of not being affected by the opponent, it is unnecessary here, since there are better Pokémon that Mewtwo & Mew can copy.
This one is very interesting. The combo allows you to use the second attack, becoming immune to evolutions, both from Single Prize decks and Pyroar FLF 20, evolutions like some GX that we can find and the most recurrent with the VStar and VMax cards, dealing from 70 and now 140 because of the weakness.
The ones that would give you a headache to deal with are Alolan Ninetales BUS 28 and Alolan Ninetales TEU 111 because with their abilities, they prevent the opponent's attack effects and the attack of Pokémon that are EX or GX (in our case, GX which is Mewtwo & Mew). However, the effect of Glaceon-EX's attack is to preserve Mewtwo & Mew itself, and not be something against Ninetales, so Ninetales cannot deal damage to Mewtwo & Mew-GX UNM 71.
The first attack is a complement of damage, since it does 20 +10 for each damage counter, so if the opponent has many counters, the rest is history to deal massive damage next turn.
1) Attack - Phantom Gate (P)(C)(C): You can choose an attack from your opponent's Active Pokémon and copy it.
Assuming you're dealing with a powerful Pokémon that deals a lot of damage like Charizard VMAX DAA 20 that does 300 damage, you can copy those 300 as well.
1) Attack - Vanishing Strike (P)(F)(F)(C): Deals 150 damage and if there is a stadium in play, it deals an additional 50 damage and are still not affected by resistance or any effects of the opponent's Active Pokémon.
So for free it's already dealing 200 damage because we have the stadiums Dimension Valley PHF 93 and Chaotic Swell CEC 187, and you have to keep the Chaotic Swell to be able to guarantee a certain security for Mewtwo & Mew's ability and then beyond 200, it turns into 400 damage, due to Unown VStar.
1) Attack - Psychic Infinity (C)(C)(C): Deals 10 + 30 damage for each Energy attached to both Active Pokémon, and that damage isn't affected by Weakness.
It is only targeted in cases where you can face a Blissey V CRE 119 in a match, but this attack can be useful.
1) Attack - Mist Slash (W)(C): Damage is 130, and this attack isn't affected by weakness, resistance, or any effects of the opponent's Active Pokémon.
Entering then the first attack, which can go from 130 to 260 thanks to Unown VStar, you have the possibility of taking special energies from the opponent's Active Pokémon. This is good for breaking Arceus & Dialga & Palkia-GX CEC 156 that keep using Double Dragon Energy ROS 97 to perform their GX attack, Altered Creation.
As for the second attack, considering the HP of Mewtwo & Mew in a total of 270, you can use 260 in your favor to do the GX attack, like this: 260 x 50 = 13,000 plus 10, reaching a total of 13,010 of raw damage! That's because we didn't even consider duplicating that with Unown VStar.
- Jirachi-GX UNM 79a comes in to protect Pokémon from Psychic-type weaknesses, thanks to its ability Psychic Zone, which is excellent against theMirror Match.
In addition, it has two interesting attacks:
1) Attack - Star Search (P): You search the deck for an Energy and attach it to one of your Psychic Pokémon. Then, shuffle your deck.
Remember that the description of the attack does not specify whether it is basic or special energy, so you can connect that special energy that is in the deck to your Mewtwo & Mew-GX UNM 71.
2) GX Attack - Star Shield (P)(P)(P): Deals 100 damage and still prevent attack effects, including damage, dealt to your opponent's Active Pokémon. If you use this after Unown VStar, it'll deal 200 damage and having immunity, which is excellent.
- Dedenne-GX UNB 57 uses its ability Dedechange which if it is played to the bench from your hand, you discard your hand and draw 6 cards (ideal so that if you have a hand full of Pokémon, you discard them at once to speed up copying Mewtwo & Mew attacks).
- Professor's Research (Professor Oak) CEL 23 is the deck draw accelerator: you discard your hand until you draw 7 new cards.
It's also good for discarding Pokémon from your hand to accelerate the process of copying Mewtwo & Mew's attacks.
- Marnie SSH 169 serves to control the opponent's hand. You and your opponent shuffle your hands and place those cards on the bottom of your respective decks. So, you draw 5 cards and the opponent only 4 cards.
And since Mewtwo & Mew-GX UNM 71 is a card that gives 3 prize cards to the opponent if knocked out, it is already a way to disrupt the opponent by limiting the resources in their hand.
- Boss's Orders RCL 154 serves to pull a specific Pokémon from the opponent's Bench to deal damage for victory, and of course, your targets will be ultra-rare Pokémon such as EX, GX, V, VStar, VMax or VUnion to streamline the prize card acquisition.
- Guzma & Hala CEC 193 serves as a two-effect card:
1) Find a Stadium Trainer card and put it in your hand.
2) If you Tribute by discarding two cards from your hand, in addition to searching for a Stadium Trainer card, you can search for a special energy and a Tool item card and put them in your hand.
Even without Tools in the deck, the good thing about using the second option is to burn two Pokémon to tax and accelerate the process of discarding Pokémon so that Mewtwo & Mew-GX UNM 71 can copy them.
- VS Seeker ROS 110 is a wonderful card because it rescues a Supporter from the discard pile and puts it in your hand, being able to pick up key cards to contribute to a play.
- Special Charge STS 105 is for recycling up to 2 Special Energy from the discard to the Deck, and since it only has 7 Special Energy, this needs to be handled with utmost care and attention to guarantee the use of this card.
- Trainers' Mail ROS 92 is an item card that makes you search the top 4 cards of your deck for any Trainer-type card, choose one of them, reveal it to your opponent and put it in your hand, then, shuffle your deck.
- Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear PHF 92 is essential, as it lets you discard 3 cards you want from the deck to the discard pile, and that's what you should do with the Pokémon you want will be used as the basis of Mewtwo & Mew-GX UNM 71's attacks.
Having 3 copies of these cards, you have possibilities to discard up to 9 Pokémon at once!
- Scramble Switch PLS 129 is excellent, if your Mewtwo & Mew-GX UNM 71 is damaged, and you don't want to lose your special energies connected, you transfer these energies to the other Mewtwo & Mew -GX UNM 71 and retreats that damaged one to promote the new attacker.
- Dimension Valley PHF 93 serves to speed up the attacks of psychic Pokémon, as it exempts a colorless energy for the archetype.
- Aurora Energy SSH 186 grants any energy to the Pokémon, but you need to discard a card from your hand (ideally, discard a Pokémon to synergize the deck).
With the upgrade of Unown VSTAR SIT 66 in the recent expansion, Mewtwo & Mew-GX UNM 71 had a tremendous boost in its attacks that are now doubled and will likely become one of the strongest decks in Expanded, going toe-to-toe against Regidrago VSTAR SIT 136 which has the same mechanic.
- Mirror Match with Mewtwo & Mew-GX UNM 71 that hits faster than you.
- Its slowness in drawing and hand resources due to the absence of cards that make good draws such as Bibarel BRS 121, Zebstrika LOT 82 or Octillery BKT 33 and only depending on two Dedenne-GX UNB 57 that may have the risk of remaining as a prize card; and still only have two copies of Professor's Research (Professor Oak) CEL 23.
- Decks that use a lot of Enhanced Hammer GRI 162 and Pokémon that can remove Special Energy or that have Beedrill CRE 3 because of its attack that instantly Knocks out any Pokémon that has any Special Energy attached to the opposing Active Pokémon.
It's a wonderful deck and with many modifications possible to be able to choose which Pokémon Mewtwo & Mew-GX UNM 71 can copy. In this list, I focused only on the aggressive side, as there are countless ways to build strategies, as stated in the first paragraphs.
So, do you agree with my analysis? What would you change about the Mewtwo & Mew deck to make it more dynamic? Leave your opinions below!
Until the next article!